Monday, April 22, 2013

Seasons



When I was going through one of the classes last semester in order to finish out my degree, I found out how much I love Art Nouveau.
And then I found Alphonse Mucha and fell in love. All of portraits, whether they are of a known woman, or of someone just posing for him, they are so beautiful! He is able to capture every bit of who the woman is, or how she is feeling and portraying it to us, the viewer. His famous piece of Sarah Berhardt, which made him practically famous overnight, is the most well known. Bernhardt even hired him to make posters for her for six years! Two of my favorites are the seasons, (shown here) and Zodiac. Every time I see a different piece from him, or one using his style, I love it. No matter if it was made in his time, or in my time. Just the curves and natural lines that are encompassing those images is breath-taking to me.
The one interesting thing about him is that he always tried to disassociate himself from his style; art nouveau. He always insisted that his inspiration was a mirror of his life, and also a part of his Czech culture. He also declared that art existed to communicate a spiritual message, and nothing more. So, he actually became more furious the more he was commissioned to do public works and advertisements.

I love how he shows each feeling of the seasons in this image. It just makes you feel like you are actually experiencing them individually.

2 comments:

  1. I have multiple books about Mucha and did not realize he was expressing he Czech roots. Now that you say it, it seems so obvious - the botanical and free flowing designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mucha's style is very influencal. I've seen Mucha-inspired images used in my favorite anime series, Sailor Moon.

    ReplyDelete