Thursday, January 17, 2013

Inspiration

I know that posting a picture of Vincent Van Gogh may seem somewhat stereotypical, but I have found a new respect for him. One of my favorite tv shows to watch is Doctor Who on BBC. He is a being who lives for hundreds of years and his space ship allows him to travel through time and space. His ship is called the TARDIS, and it stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. But in one episode, the Doctor and his companion go back in time to when Vincent was alive, right before he did the painting of the sunflowers. There was something that I realized about artists and painters, that we dont always live the perfect life and not everything is grand. I do not know exactly what was deemed wrong with him, but I believe that he suffered from mental illness. Whether it be depression or some sort of mania, I believe that is what inspired his work. When Vincent met the Doctor, he was able to see some sort of monster and only Vincent was able to see it. He told the Doctor that he wished other people could see the world as he sees it, with colors swirling and molding to create a beautiful canvas that he just had to capture. There was one time that Vincent suddenly got so upset because the Doctor said something that sounded like an insult that he threw himself onto his bed and started to sob. I saw something in myself when I watched that episode. I realized that my depression can be a help to my artwork. How I portray myself and my work can show people what really goes on in the head of someone who has to deal with depression and other mental illnesses. I can't stand it when others stereotype mental illnesses because they dont understand how they think. From that one episode I have found a new respect and love for Van Gogh's art, and for him as a human as well.

1 comment:

  1. I have never watched Dr. Who but now my curiosity is piqued! I have an acquaintance who insists that the best artists have all endured great suffering. Whether that is true or not, I know not. I do know that we each have personal struggles to carry and they vary in difficulty depending on our season of life. It is ours to choose whether we use that struggle to make something beautiful or at least relevant - expressing that emotion for someone else to share.

    ReplyDelete